The links on this page connect you to my teaching and research interests.
My research is focused in three general areas:
- the impact of technology in safety-critical systems
- risk analysis and risk mitigation in large-scale systems, and
- the role of human and organizational error in high-consequence settings.
My research utilizes information systems, data science, advanced analytics and visualizations to address changes in large-scale safety-critical systems.
In early work, my research group developed a series of embedded intelligent ship's piloting systems for government, shipping, and piloting organizations. Our research also focuses on evaluating the impact of technology on individuals, groups, and organizations in safety-critical settings We have also conducted several risk assessments in marine transportation and other mission-critical systems.
At present, our research focuses on
- evaluating the impact of advanced reasoning and visualization techniques such as intelligent systems and wearable immersive augmented reality on operator performance, situation awareness, communication and mobility in safety-critical settings
- exploring resource allocation and critical infrastructure challenges in resource-limited settings such as the Arctic,
- examining the impact of unmanned and autonomous systems in safety-critical settings, and
- developing Big Data and large-scale risk data analytics, and discovering and validating predictive safety indicators in distributed, large-scale systems.
The links on this page should give you an idea of my research and teaching, and provide links for more information.
- Advanced Reasoning and Visualization and Safety-Critical Systems
- Impacts of Wearable Augmented Reality Displays on Operator Performance, Situation Awareness and Communication in Safety-Critical Systems (Applied Ergonomics, 2019)
- Evaluation of WIAR Technology in Safety-Critical Systems -- Research Framework: Design for Staten Island Ferry (Safety Science, 2018)
- Evaluation of Wearable Immersive Augmented Reality (WIAR) Technology for Ship Navigation at MITAGS (Marine Technology, 2016)
- Evaluation of WIAR Technology for Ship Navigation (Journal of Navigation, 2015)
- Dynamic Resource Allocation, Modeling for Arctic Oil Spill Response, Search & Rescue (SAR)
- Emergency Management, Climate Change and Complex Governance in the Arctic (More than Nature: Research on Infrastructure and Settlements in the North, 2020)
- Dynamic Network Modeling for Arctic Supply Chain Logistics (European Journal of Operational Research, 2017)
- National Academies Arctic Oil Spill Response Report 2016 Video
- National Academies Arctic Oil Spill Response Report 2016
- Data Challenges in Dynamic Large-Scale Resource Allocation in Remote Regions (Safety Science, 2016)
- Predictive Analytics, Leading Indicators, Safety and Security Indicators
- Self Healing Databases for Predictive Risk Analytics in Safety-Critical Systems (Working paper, 2019)
- U.S. Coast Guard/ Department of Homeland Security (DHS)/US Coast Guard Data Risk Analytics Final Report: Literature Review, Requirements, Analysis & Recommendations for Data Sources and Analytical Methodologies. (U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Command, Control & Interoperability Center for Advanced Data Analysis (CCICADA) Report, Task Order Task Order HSCG23-17-J-MSR065, August 2018)
- Leading Indicators of Safety in Virtual Organizations (Safety Science, 2007)
- Accident Precursors and Safety Nets: Leading Indicators of Tanker Operations Safety (Maritime Policy & Management, 2007)
- Virtual Organizations, High Reliability Organizations, Organizational Resilience
- Reliability Seeking Virtual Organizations: Challenges for High Reliability Organizations and Resilience Engineering (Safety Science, August 2019 )
- Terrorist Critical Infrastructures, Organizational Capacity & Security Risk (Safety SCience, December 2018)
- Team Composition, Team Performance
- Linking Team Composition and Team Performance: An Application to Post Disaster Debris Removal Operations (IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems, 2014)
- Safety Culture and Safety Performance
- Linking Workplace Safety to Operational Disruptions (Journal of Business Logistics, December 2018)
- Decision Performance and Safety Performance: A Value Focused Thinking Study in the Oil Industry (Decision Analysis, 2014)
- Sailing on Friday: Linking Safety Culture and Safety Performance (IEEE SMC Part A: Systems and Humans, March 2010)